St Marys vs Waterville – Intermediate Championship Group 1 Round 3

St Marys Waterville

Con Keating Park

Intermediate Championship Group 1 Round 3 St Marys: 1-14(17) Waterville: 0-10(10)

On Easter Sunday, April 21st, St Marys played Waterville Frank Casey’s in Con Keating Park in the third and final round of Group 1 of the Intermediate Championship. A minutes silence was held as a mark of respect to John ‘Boblo’ O’Connor, Vice President of our club who sadly passed away on Saturday.

Bryan Sheehan once again got the scoring underway with a free a minute into the game but two minutes put another wide. A Barry O’Dwyer free in the third minute was the away sides first score. Denis Daly kicked a point for the home team. A placed ball from Barry O’Dwyer and a point from play from Eoin O’Sullivan put Waterville ahead three points to two after 10 minutes. Michael O’Shea was replaced by James Fitzgerald with an injury. Denis Daly received a yellow card after eleven minutes and St Marys scored two more points, Daniel Daly and Bryan Sheehan (45). An Eoin O’Sullivan Point for Waterville was preceded a point from Jack Daly and a free from Bryan. Another Barry O’Dwyer free was replied to by a point from Daniel Daly. After 25 minutes Darren Casey was shown a yellow card and three minutes later John Vincent O’Dwyer was shown a black card (and replaced by Daniel O’Dwyer). Two frees for St Marys, one for Daniel and one for Bryan put the home team ahead 9 points to 5 at half time.

The first two scores of the second half came from Eoin O’Sullivan placed balls. Bryan Sheehan got a yellow card, shortly followed by Brian Curran. Jack Daly scored St Marys’ first point of the second half. 9 minutes in, Muiris Fitzgerald replaced Darren Casey. A point from Bryan Sheehan was answered to with a free from Barry O’Dwyer. Jamie O’Sullivan received Waterville’s only yellow card and Bryan subsequently pointed the free, putting St Marys four points ahead in the third quarter. Three minutes later Muiris Fitzgerald put his mark on the scoreboard with a point from play. Niall O’Shea was replaced by Kevin Moriarty and Kyle Casey of Waterville was replaced by Keith Moran. A high ball in from Denis Daly was flicked into the net by Jack Daly. Daniel Daly was replaced by Ronan O’Shea. Conor O’Shea was St Marys’ only scoring back on the day. Gearóid O’Sullivan of Waterville was replaced by Odhran O’Mahonyy and Adam Quirke of St Marys by Cian Esmonde. Two final frees for Waterville, from Barry O’Dwyer and Eoin O’Sullivan saw St Marys win on a scoreline of 1-14 to 10 points and thankfully avoid a relegation playoff!

Teams lined out as follows:

St Marys- Mike Daly, Jack O’Mahony, Brian Curran, Patrick Cournane, Conor O’Shea (0-1), Oisin Moran, Niall Brennan, Bryan Sheehan (0-6, 5F), Denis Daly (0-1), Darren Casey, Adam Quirke, Mark Quigley, Jack Daly (1-2), Daniel Daly (0-3, 1F) and Niall O’Shea. Subs used- Muiris Fitzgerald (0-1), Ronan O’ Shea, Cian Esmonde and Kevin Moriarty.

Waterville- Paddy O’Dwyer, John Vincent O’Dwyer, Michael O’Shea, Cillian Cronin, Fergal Cronin, Fionán Clifford, Alan O’Dwyer, Kyle Casey, Cillian Clifford, Jack Curran, Eoin O’Sullivan (0-5, 3F), Adam O’Dwyer, Gearóid O’Sullivan, Jamie O’Sullivan and Barry O’Dwyer (0-5, 5F). Subs used- Odhran O’Mahony, James Fitzgerald, Keith Moran and Daniel O’Dwyer.

Recent Posts