Division 1 Table after Round 9










Castleisland Desmonds 1:18-St.Marys Caherciveen 4:12 (account thanks to Desmonds Facebook)

St. Mary’s of Caherciveen made the long journey up from South Kerry on Saturday evening July 22nd to play Desmonds in round 9 of the Kerry GAACo. League.
With the scoreboard at half time reading 3:08 to 1:06 this game was definitely a game of two half’s.
The 1st half started very well for Desmonds with a lovely opening point from Pat Fitzgerald we then saw club captain Thomas Hickey score a well taken penalty after Gearoid McCarthy was fouled, McCarthy followed it up with a point by himself from play all within the 1st 3mins of the game. (1:2 to 0:0)
Then Paul O’Donoghue broke though the Desmonds defence and scored a goal in the 4th min and and a point in the 5th and with St. Marys now in full attacking mode we saw them score their 2nd goal through no 15 Darren Casey in the 7th minute in this game which was played at a fast and furious pace.
Cian O’Connor of Desmonds added a point from a free kick and the score was now Desmonds 1:03 St. Marys 2:01 (9mins 1st Half)
St. Marys Sean Cournane open his account in the next couple of minutes with a well taken free plus a point from play and he then scored his sides 3rd goal on the 19th min. (3:03 to 1:03)
Desmonds scored three more points in this half with Stan Divane, and Maurice O’Connell, both scoring from play and Cian O’Connor added a pointed free to finish the half on 1:06.

St.Marys through their great work rate and attacking play added 5 more points in this half from Niall O’Driscoll, Anthony Cournane and 2 points from Dan Daly, and the St.Mary’s Captain Conor O’Shea scored a point from play and it left the score at half time Desmonds 1:06 St.Marys 3:08.

Well the 2nd half was a different game for the Desmonds but while they are still unfortunately at the bottom of division 1 and they are still looking for their 1st point of the season great credit must be given to them in regard to the way they played in the half as they scored 12 points in the half. This would normally have seen them win any other game.
The 1st 6 points they scored were all from play and all within 11mins on the clock from Thomas Hickey 2 scores and 1 each from Cian O’Connor, Pat Fitzgerald, and with Gearoid Leonard and Cathal Hanifin scoring lovely points each.
St Marys added a point from Jack Daly and at this stage of the game it was only a 3 point lead for the visiting team.
Then the men from Caherciveen upped their game with 2 points from Dan Daly and they then scored their 4th goal against the run of play by Darren Casey and Desmonds Graham O’Connor scored a lovely point from play.
The electronic scoreboard now read 4:11 to 1:13 after 15mins gone in the half.
Then for the next 5 mins we saw the home side up the pressure and the visiting team try and hold to their 7 point lead but Desmonds added 4 points from Thomas Hickey ( 1 Pl. 3 Frees ) it was now 1:17 to 4:11 29th min of the game.
Darren Casey of St.Mary’s added an insurance point from play on the 30th min and we saw Cian O’Connor score the last Desmonds score from a free kick in injury time and then referee Mike Hennessy blew up the game , to see the men from South Kerry travel home with the spoils on the final score on the evening.
Castleisland Desmonds 1:18 St.Marys Caherciveen 4:12.


Round 8 – Sunday July 16th
St. Marys V John Michels

A highly entertaining game was served up to those who saw this Div. 1 clash in the Con Keating park. John Mitchels with Alan Fitzgerald in tremendous form assisted 2 goals in the first half to keep in touch with with St Marys who were in fine point scoring form with the Cournane brothers and Pauly Donoghue all finding their range. Brian Curran and Conor Shea provided a stiff defense for St Marys who went in at half time 8 points to 2.01 up.
The second half began with man of the match Pauly Donoghue in rampant form scoring in the 32,34 and 39th minute with Alan o Donoghue and Stevie o Mahoney replying for John Mitchels. Anthony Cournane for St Marys was now dominating the wings and he slotted home 2 points in the 42nd and 46th minute . St Marys were now 5 points up and appeared to be cruising but George Bastible had other ideas for the Mitchels as he found the bottom corner to make it a 1point game. Alan o Donoghue tied the game for the Mitchels with a fine point from the wing . The teams traded 3 points each in the last 7 minutes before Pauly Donoghue scored a well deserved winner. St Marys introduced substitute Jack Daly who has just rehabilitated from a long injury for the last 10 minutes and he fielded 2 huge balls to set up the last 2 scores for St Marys . A very entertaining hour with Pauly Donoghue scoring 7 points and the Cournane brothers scoring 9 between them. Alan Fitzgerald 4 points and Stevie o Mahoney 1 goal were the pick of the Mitchels while the Bastible brothers chipped in with a goal each.


Round 6 – Sunday June 18th
St Marys V Rathmore

Rathmore visited Con Keating Park on Saturday evening in round 6 of the county league division one. The visitors were quick off the mark, scoring 1-2 without reply in the first 2 minutes, before Paulie O’Donoghue was brought down in the square, and Sean Cournane comfortably found the back of the net. It was a high scoring first quarter – 1-4 to 2-5, with a second Rathmore goal coming from John Moynihan in the 15th minute. Paul O’Donoghue scored a great goal in the 25th minute but the half time score read 2-6 to 2-9 in favour of Rathmore. The second half started tit-for-tat with points and it seemed like St Mary’s could possibly have a chance to close the gap, but a third goal from Rathmore from Donal O’Sullivan sealed the deal with five minutes left on the clock. Full time score read 2-11 to 3-14. St Mary’s were missing several key players, but Brian Curran, Conor O’Shea, Sean Cournane and Dan Daly shone for the Cahirciveen side.
St Mary’s: Austin Constable, Killian Nolan, Brian Curran, Ian Casey, Conor Quirke, Conor O’Shea (0-1), Daragh O’Sullivan, Niall O’Driscoll, Niall Brennan, Pat Cournane, Adam Quirke, Paul O’Donoghue (1-2), Sean Cournane (1-4,2f), Dan Daly (0-4), Anthony Cournane
Subs: Daren Casey for Niall O’Driscoll, Mark Quigley for Niall Brennan, Oisin Moran for Ian Casey

Round 4 – Sunday June 4th
St Marys V Glenbeigh/Glencar

St Mary’s hosted Glenbeigh/Glencar in Div 1 of the County League on Sunday. Gavan O’Grady kicked the first score of the game in the fifth minute, while it took the home side 10 minutes before Anthony Cournane put a score on the board. Denis Daly and Sean Cournane then both scored points of their own and the visitors replied with 4 points unanswered. In the 18th minute, Gavan O’Grady hit the back of the net but the goal was disallowed, for hopping the ball twice. In the 23rd minute, Liam O’Connell scored a point from play, but Gavan O’Grady and Caolim Teahan ended the first half scoring 0-2 and 1-1 respectively. The half-time score was 0-4 to 1-8 to the visitors. Dan Daly opened the scoring for St Mary’s, with Caolim Teahan and Kieran Courtney swiftly answering with a point a piece. Sean Cournane scored a free, but Glenbeigh danger man Gavan O’Grady scored two frees in reply. Kieran Courtney managed to net a second goal for the visitors and Sean Cournane’s third free of the game seemed poor consolation for the home side. O’Grady and Courtney both pointed from play, and in the 26th minute, it appeared St Mary’s were trying to make a comeback, with two points from Denis Daly and a penalty from Sean Cournane, however it was too little too late. Glenbeigh/Glencar came out on top in a full time score of 1-9 to 2-14. Best for St Mary’s were Brian Curran, Sean Cournane and Denis Daly.

St Mary’s: M Daly, K Nolan, B Curran, I Casey, A Quirke, Daragh O’Sullivan, C Quirke, L O’Connell (0-1), D Daly (0-3), P Cournane, P O’Donoghue, C O’Shea, S Cournane (1-3, 3f), D Daly (0-1), A Cournane (0-1)
Subs: N Brennan for P Cournane
M Quigley for A Quirke

Glenbeigh/Glencar scorers:
Jack Brosnan (0-1)
Caolim Teahan (1-3)
Kieran Courtney (1-2)
Gavan O’Grady (0-7,4f)
Jason McKenna (0-1)

Intermediate Championship 2017

St Marys V Castleisland Desmonds

Sunday 30th April 2.30pm in Con Keating Park

Castleisland Desmonds visited Con Keating Park on Sunday 30th April for round 2 of the Castleisland Co-Op Mart Intermediate championship. The last time these teams clashed it made for one of the best games of the 2015 Intermediate Championship. Both teams were missing key players, St Mary’s Denis Daly and Castleisland Maurice Hickey. The day was dry but a strong wind prevailed throughout. The visitors were fast off the mark with two points within the first five minutes. Sean Cournane had his goal chance blocked in the fifth minute but was rewarded a few minutes later when he did reach the back of the net. Castleisland proceeded to score 1-4 without reply before Anthony Cournane scored St Mary’s first point in the 23rd minute. For the rest of the half Castleisland remained dominant, however a free from Bryan Sheehan and an injury time goal from Darren Casey were all that St Mary’s could muster. Half time score was 2-2 to 2-8. Paul O’Donoghue was fast off the mark in the opening minutes of the second half with two points from play before Bryan Sheehan hit the back of the net. Castleisland were at a disadvantage when centre forward Tomás Lynch saw his second yellow card. St Mary’s used this to their advantage and scored 2 points courtesy of Anthony Cournane and Darragh O’Sullivan. A superb piece of teamwork led to Dan Daly scoring a fourth goal for St Mary’s. A clear lead for St Mary’s in the last quarter did not deter Castleisland, who kept trying to get back in the game. Points from Cian O’Connor, Tomás Hickey, Kieran Brennan and Graham O’Connor were in vain as Dan Daly and Darren Casey pointed their own. Full time score was 4-10 to 2-12. St Mary’s were best served by Conor O’Shea, Bryan Sheehan and Darragh O’Sullivan.
St Mary’s team:
Michael Daly, Killian Nolan, Brian Curran, Ian Casey, Darragh O’Sullivan (0-1), Conor O’Shea (c), Conor Quirke, Adam Quirke, Bryan Sheehan (1-1,1f), Pat Cournane, Paul O’Donoghue (0-2), Darren Casey (1-1), Sean Cournane (1-0), Dan Daly (1-3,2f), Anthony Cournane (0-2)
Liam O’Connell for Pat Cournane, Niall Brennan for Killian Nolan, Oisin Moran for Adam Quirke, Mark Quigley for Darren CaseyRound 3 – Sunday April 9th 

(Account by Marian Cournane)

Milltown Castlemaine v St Mary’s  (account from Milltown/ Castlemaine Facebook page)

They say goals win games and this was the case today. Milltown Castlemaine had the prefect start with David Roche finishing calmly to the net with almost the first play of the game. Despite this setback St Mary’s, with a strong wind at their back calmly made their way back into the game with the next 5 points. St Mary’s Sean Curnane was extremely accurate from frees. Milltown Castlemaine were struggling for scores but with 5 minutes left in the half Jerome Flynn jigged into the box and raised a second M/C green flag. The teams traded points with Sean Curnane pointing for St. Mary’s and Gavin Horan pointing for M/C to leave the short whistle score M/C 2.01 St Mary’s 0.06
A good start is half the battle and M/C struck straight from the throw in with the evergreen Mike Burke punching to the back of the net. The game became very open but M/C’s stout defence, not leaving the South Kerry men in on goal, the game became a point for point game. M/C added some fine from David Roche, Derek Twiss, Jonathon O’Sulllivan, Cathal Moriarty, Shane Murphy and a spectacular long distance point from Seamus Dowd. Sean Curnane was equally accurate for St Mary’s with a fantastic pointed free from outside the 45 into the strong breeze being the highlight. Referee Paul Hayes contributed to a fine game with an excellent performance and when he whistled for full time Milltown Castlemaine gained the two points on a score of Milltown Castlemaine 3.07 St Mary’s Cahirciveen 0.11.

2017 Senior Football League Division 1

Round 2 – Sunday March 26th
St. Marys  0 – 15, Dingle 2 – 09

A close exciting game which ended in a draw was played in glorious conditions at the Con Keating park this Sunday afternoon. St Marys got off to a lightning start with man of the match Pauly Donoghue scoring the first 3 points from play in the opening 10 minutes. St Marys were cruising after 25 minutes but then ace corner forward for Dingle, Tomás Mac a’tSíthigh ( 2goals 1 pt) was left one on one twice in the inside line and he struck for two well taken goals in the 26th and 29th minutes to leave the score 2.03 to 8 points in favour of Dingle at half time. Dingle, playing with a strong wind in the second half kept a slender lead till the 50th minute courtesy of 3 superb frees by sub Dáithí Ó Conchúir and the midfield dominance of Dara Ó Súilleabháin. However St Mary’s with the Cournane brothers , Dan Daly and Pauly Donoghue (6pts) displaying some of that great forward play which has been the hallmark of this team for the last 3 years tied the game twice in the last 10 minutes . A free, converted by Dan Daly in the 60th minute was the final score in a highly entertaining game. Full time St Mary’s 0-15 Dingle 2-09.
St Mary’s team:
Michael Daly, Ian Casey, Brian Curran, Pat Cournane, Killian Nolan, Conor O’Shea, Adam Quirke, Conor Quirke (0-1), Daragh O’Sullivan, Ronan O’Shea, Paul O’Donoghue (0-5,1f), Darren Casey (0-1), Sean Cournane (0-3,2f), Dan Daly (0-3,1f), Anthony Cournane (0-1)
Subs: Oisin Moran for Adam Quirke
Dingle scorers:
Dara Ó Súilleabháin (0-1), Tomás Mac a’tSíthigh (2-1), Garreth H. Ó Brosnacháin (0-1), Micheál Ó Beolláin (0-2,1f), Liam Ó Brosnacháin (0-1), Dáithí Ó Conchúir (0-3,3f)

(Account of Match thanks to Johnny Griffin and Marian Cournane)

Round 1 – Sunday March 19th
Templenoe V St. Marys

Win for the Marys: Templenoe 0-07 , St Marys 0-13

Here is the match report thanks to Templenoe,s website.

Round 5 – Sunday June 11th
Austin Stacks V St. Marys



Round 9 – Sunday 23
Desmond  V St. Marys

Round 10 – Sunday August 13th
St. Marys V Kerins O’Rahillys

Round 11 – Sunday August 27th or Sunday September 24th 

St Marys V An Gaeltacht